The Color of Courage
The Color of Courage Educators' Guide includes Common Core Standards correlations for a range of discussion questions and group and individual research, writing and speaking activities. Suitable for grades 9 through 12.
The Educators' Guide was prepared for Aquila Polonica by Kathleen Odean, nationally recognized expert on literature for young people. A librarian for 17 years, Ms. Odean now gives all-day workshops on new books for teens and Common Core Standards. She reviews for Kirkus Reviews, The Providence Journal, and Teacher-Librarian. Ms. Odean chaired the 2002 Newbery Award Committee.
The Educators' Guide includes the following:
- Pre-Reading Activities
- Discussion Questions (which can be augmented by the Discussion Questions in the book itself)
- Digital Tie-ins (video author interviews, plus the 11 Digital Extras included in the book—short videos of original historical film and audio material)
- a unit on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Research Projects
- "Dear Mr. Kulski" letter to the author exercise
- Further Reading suggestions
- a list of the Common Core Standards addressed in this Guide
- along with a letter from the publisher, an author bio, brief summary of the book with its Table of Contents, List of Maps and video book trailer.